How to shrink a windows partition to make more room for Linux?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 16:10:37 MST 2010

Interesting that I've had nothing but good luck with gparted with only two
exceptions:
1-it is sometimes fussy about doing too many operations in a row so I tend
to apply changes without waiting to specify the whole chain of changes I
want to do, and
2-it, like many other utilities, does not do as well at recovering a flash
drive by re-formatting as Windows does.  Or should I say that formatting one
in windows seems to do something extra that windows cares about?

I have resized many NTFS partitions without resizing the NTFS file system
first.  Perhaps that is because gparted actually requires and uses the
ntfsprogs to do that work.  See:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php

I believe Parted Magic (or one of the others) also announced a few months
ago that they now successfully resize the NTFS file system as part of
resizing the partition.  I believe I posted that here back then.

My belief is that gparted won't do what he wants simply BECAUSE the file
system and the partition are not in sync and that may be BECAUSE he did the
manual resize of the file system first and then ran a tool that expected to
do that itself.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:43 PM, gk <gm5729 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, now we know.
>
> XP does NOT have its own resizer, only Vista and W7.
>
> BE warned if you resize an XP partition it takes hours and hours and hours.
> So using a 3rd party resizer is necessary. I've never had anything but
> problems with GParted, YMMV. Qtparted is good and there are other 3rd party
> resizers available.
>
> Considering the time for a resize. IF you have your data backed up AND you
> have the original XP discs, (we don't want ole bill to go out of business;
> plus you have all your drivers. It's much easier to nuke the partition and
> go from there. XP with office only needs 5-6GB disc space.
>
> Note about primary partions and logical. You can ONLY have 4 primary
> partitions at one time ever. You may have up to 256 logical.
>
> I'm betting that since your fsck is okay on Windows if you looked at that
> partition there are IMMoveable blocks towards the end of the space. This
> would also prevent a resize.
>

> gk
>
> --
> Remember, it's not that we have something to hide; it's that we have
> nothing to show.
>
> --Keep tunneling.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson