turning off wifi

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Tue Feb 16 18:33:39 MST 2010

I run Ubuntu Hardy on a Dell Latitude 600 with a Linksys WRT54GL router
and the latest Linksys firmware. I usually use a wired connection with
wireless access disabled on the router configuration site. Today I
booted and inadvertently neglected to attach the cable first. I was
surprised to see it connect to the wifi network. I checked to make sure
wireless access was still disabled and it was. What don't I understand
here? Does disabling wireless access not do what I think (obviously doesn't)?
If not, how can I turn off wifi. There is no physical switch. Opening
Network Manager shows the wired button grayed out. The only way to turn
it off is to connect the cable. Right now I see no way to work off line.

Help, pointers, snide comments anyone?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279