USB Thumb Drive Issues?

unixprgrmr01 at gmail.com unixprgrmr01 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 17:53:11 MST 2009

Mike,

Copying your files to your home directory MAY perpetuate the problem to
other USB drives that you plug into that box, it depends on the nature of
the problem.  If the problem is a virus there is good chance that it will.
If you want to do root cause analysis don't reformat your USB drive.

If you don't want to spend the time to do the analysis I suggest writing a
little program to write binary 0's (NULL's) to the drive a few times to
clean it up, then format it as you want.  However, note that just by
plugging the drive in you may have infected the computer you plugged it
into.

Again,
Good Luck
Lynn

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM, mike Enriquez <mylinux at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a 4GB PNY thumb drive that has issues? It has become "Write
>> Protected". It is an Optima pro Attache. I searched the net and nothing
>> that I have found has helped me out.
>> Has any one in the group had this happen to them and how did you remove
>> the write protection.
>> I cannot see any special files on it except 2 of my own.
>> Any suggestions out there?
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mike Enriquez
>>

> Hi Mike!
>
> There are a load of Window$ type repair suggestions here (Since this is a
> known bug in Xp SP2):
>
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-18654-USB-Flash-Drive-Write-protection.html
>
> Linux solutions are going to be basic drive management:
>
> plug in usb flash drive and mount (if you don't have automouter)
>
> dmesg to verify the device:
>
> # dmesg
> # mkdir /mnt/usbwork
> # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbwork
> (it might whine that you didn't specify the type if so:)
> # mount -t vfat (or NFS) /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbwork
> # cd /mnt/usbwork
> Copy off your old files
> # cp -r * $HOME
> # umount /mnt/usbhome
> # fdisk /dev/sda
>
> Remove all the partitions using  the "d" command.
> create new partitions using the "n" command (you only really need one big
> one)
> set the file type "W95 FAT32 (LBA)"  (or ext3 if making a bootable Linux
> distro) "t" (types will display)
> if this is going to hold a distro set the bootable flag "a"
> check your work:  "p"
> save "w"
>
> Lay on a file system (that matches your file type):
>

> mkfs.vfat -I -n USBDRIVE /dev/sda1
>

> Your drive should work now just fine!
>
> Reference:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=346737
> --