off-site backup plan

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Oct 21 11:53:46 MST 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 09:20 -0700, JD Austin wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Lisa Kachold
> <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:
>

>         Of course for mission critical data, I recommend RAID 5 or
>         RAID 1+0 at the very least.
>

>         AND ALL BACKUPS REQUIRE A RESTORE TEST - laugh!  You all can
>         appreciate this point?
>

> I second the restore test.. we had a wonderful Legato backup system
> that made backups that couldn't be restored.
> Never assume it works ;)
----
Somewhere it must be written that the name Legato means horribly complex solutions that never really quite work as they are supposed to but damn, someone paid a lot of money for the exercise in gymnastics...thanks.

By the way...RAID 5 - for all purposes these days, it's dead. It is
being put to death by drive densities that keep increasing while error
rates remain constant. Given the low performance of RAID 5, who cares
anyway.

Craig

believed to be clean.