Linux vs OpenBSD as a router

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Tue Oct 20 17:00:03 MST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Paul Mooring <drpppr242 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been running linux routers using iproute2 and iptables for a while now,
> and openBSD just had a new release which has me considering switching my
> home setup to a BSD pf solution.  Does anyone have any experience comparing
> the two?  I guess I'm also concerned about other software I use on my linux
> router not being supported in openBSD (OpenVPN, OpenSwan, and Quagga
> primarily).

I use OBSD on the edges of my network and Linux inside 'em. The
software you mention are all supported - OpenVPN - OpenSwan -> IPsec -
Quagga. The network area is enthusiastically supported in OBSD with
many tutorials and the community is pretty good with Q&A. You will
have to get used to looking at the man pages since they really are
where OBSD keeps it's documentation - and you will be expected to have
at least read them when posting. As a firewall OBSD/pf is the most
understandable as far as I'm concerned - less mental gymnastics - and
a great deal of effort has gone into optimizing the whole network
stack, so you will hear about people running firewalls on computers
most corps trashed last century.  :)   goforit

see:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#Setup.forward
http://www.benzedrine.cx/pf.html
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1859