off-site backup plan

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Oct 20 08:00:41 MST 2009

From: Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org>
> Now, I'm trying to make a plan for those backups to survive the
> house burning down or some other total catastrophe.  I don't want
> to lose 10 years of digital photos in an emergency like that, and
> pushing all this data over my internet connection isn't feasible.

2 USB2 drives of sufficient size, rsync, and a friend who lives
at least a mile or 2 away.  rsync the dirs containing backups of
the important junk to the USB drives.  Give one drive to the friend,
keep the other at home.  Every few days, rsync the drive you have at
home, then swap that drive with the drive your friend has.  That
way, you lose at most a few days of data if your house burns down.
No net connection needed.  All you need is a friend you see
regularly, or a secure storage locker you can get to every week.

Note that this might be difficult or expensive if you have more than
2T of data to back up.  You can also use dm-crypt on the backup USB
drives for additional security.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows