Linux vs OpenBSD as a router

Benjamin Francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:15:36 MST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use freebsd, openvpn, pf. OpenVPN is the same (different locations). PF
> is pretty easy to use imo.
>
> Eric
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org>wrote:
>
>> On Monday 19 October 2009 14:46:54 Paul Mooring wrote:
>> > I've been running linux routers using iproute2 and iptables for a while
>> > now, and openBSD just had a new release which has me considering
>> > switching my home setup to a BSD pf solution.  Does anyone have any
>> > experience comparing the two?  I guess I'm also concerned about other
>> > software I use on my linux router not being supported in openBSD
>> > (OpenVPN, OpenSwan, and Quagga primarily).
>> >

>> While one system may have strengths or weaknesses and one may be more
>> secure
>> than the other, no system will ever be more secure than the one you know.
>> Don't pick a system you know nothing about and use software you are not
>> familiar with and expect it to be a safer solution than the one you are
>> familiar with and know how to use.
>>
>> then again, the most inexperienced user on the planet who couldn't find
>> his
>> way home if standing in front of his house could still manage to install
>> Ubuntu and be more secure than windows... ha ha!

I've used IPcop, smoothwall, m0n0wall, PF, and Cisco.  I tried pfsense, a
long time ago in its early stages, and it didn't quite work as I wanted.  I
prefer pf on FreeBSD with Squid/SquidGuard.  PF was ported from OpenBSD to
FreeBSD in 2003.  Some links for reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PF_%28firewall%29
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/sysadmin/2007/02/15/evaluating_firewalls.html
http://onlamp.com/bsd/2006/02/16/os_fingerprint_filtering.html
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf