DSL Speed

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at me.com
Tue Oct 13 06:25:37 MST 2009

Recently I upgraded my DSL service from a nominal 1.5 mbps to a
nominal 7 mbps. Internet speed test sites mostly agree that my actual
speed went from about 1.3 mbps to about 6 mbps. This conformed to my
expectations.

Something happened that I didn't expect at all and I'm at a loss to
explain it. One example will serve for a whole class of sites. I DL
videos  from an online political site and I used to get speeds of
about 80 kbps ( that's kilo not mega). Since the upgrade I'm getting
700 kbps. I'm seeing similar speed increases everywhere.

Here's what I don't understand. If the site is capable of serving
files at 700 kbps, why wasn't I always getting them at that rate?
Surely, I thought,  80 kbps fits int 1.3 mbps with so much headroom
that I won't see any speed increase. But the speed increase is more
than proportional. Can anyone explain this?

---
Just because they're good at propaganda doesn't mean we have to be
good at stupid.
-Marty Kaplan

---