digital sticky notes for Linux?

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Oct 5 15:00:31 MST 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 5:46 AM, Matt Graham wrote:

> From: Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com>
>> Is there a digital sticky notes utility for Linux?
>>
>> Ideally, it should allow quickly typing a short note on the command
>> line to be displayed as a *very small* note (about 2" wide by 1"
>> tall)
>> in a pre-defined spot on one of the multiple desktop/workspaces ...
>> with no title, no menu, no icons, no border, and no other clutter?
>
> name=`dcop knotes KNotesIface newNote "title" "new note contents"`
> dcop knotes KNotesIface resize $name WIDTH HEIGHT
> dcop knotes KNotesIface showNote $name
> (moving it to a specific virtual desktop probably requires using
> wmctrl, but that's pretty easy.)
>
> ...however, there will be a title bar on that, and it's sort of
> KDE-specific.  There's a *lot* you can do with dcop.  Finding a
> "notes" program that lacks a title bar will be the hardest part
> of this question, I think.

I like Tomboy for this kind of thing.  They look like OSX Stickies,
but add a taskbar menu which lets you see all your notes quickly.  It
supports wiki-like inter-note linking.  I'm not sure Tomboy supports
the 'enter a note on the command-line' part, but you might be able to
bash-script your way to happiness using Tomboy as a foundation.

http://projects.gnome.org/tomboy/
The NoteDirectoryWatcher plugin might be useful : http://automorphic.blogspot.com/2009/05/tomboy-0150-development-release-brings.html
.

alex