Data Recovery USB flash drive, was: Data Recovery from Buffalo NAS

Mike Bushroe mbushroe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 09:36:28 MST 2009

I have just discovered that one of my USB 'thumb' drives is no longer
readable. Windows shows it as a removable disk but says 'Please insert a
disk into drive G:'. At first, Linux reported a short MBF or partition read?
Now, after running some demo only mode data recovery programs in Windows, it
does not register or open at all. Is there a Linux utility for recovery the
data from a USB flash drive? Or perhaps repairing the MBF and partition
table without reformatting the data? I tried QTParted, but it also refuses
to recognize the thumb drive at all.

TIA

Mike