Cheap Linux compatible video cards

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:41:58 MST 2009

OK, like I said the more info you give us the better, So far what I can
gleam is that you have an 8x AGP card. with maybe 128MB vid memory

My system
ASUS M4A78 Pro MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 2.6 Ghz cpu
4GB Mem
ATI 3870 512MB PCI-Express 2.0 video card.

I do see some agp cards with 1GB mem, but because agp tech is old you pay
more for agp then you would for the pci-e equivalent.

your cpu should handle video ok, but you don't say how much memory you have,
could you be disk swapping ?

so It's hard to determine where your bottleneck is.

PCI Express is like 8 times faster than AGP, so you'll never get video
processing power like we have today.

It also depends on the codec, so codecs require more cpu ( don't think this
is the issue, but it's something to think about)

Also you're talking about streaming video from espn, are you sure it's not
your connection ?

  _____