Cheap Linux compatible video cards

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Nov 9 07:23:00 MST 2009

On Nov 8, 2009, at 12:08 PM, Mike Bushroe wrote:

> My old computer is stating to have trouble running some of the newer
> software. In particular, I am getting free training in SolidWorks to
> use when Mentoring Highschool teams in First Robotics and also
> Underwater Robotics Competition. Unfortunately, SolidWorks only
> works on Windows, and my Windoze partition is indeed gettey VERY
> slow and sleepy. SolidWorks initially would not run becasue the
> video drivers were out of date. I have fixed so that it will run,
> but is still VERY slow. I already have all RAM slots full, so I
> would have to pull and replace, and the best I could do is double
> the RAM from 2G to 4G. But a newer video card than my old ATI Radeon
> X300 might speed up the graphics intensive CAD program. Can anyone
> recommend an inexpesnive (under $100 and preferably in the $40 to
> $60 range) PCI-E16 video card that will have both Linux drivers
> (32bit and 64bit) and also Windoze XP drivers (32bit and 64bit)?
>
> I know that ATI has great support for Linux, but most of their cards
> are quite expensive. Any specific sugestions?
>
> Mike

ASUS EN9400GT/DI/512M(LP) GeForce 9400 GT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121292

I just put one of these in a new system and loaded Ubuntu 9.10 over
the weekend.  No problems so far.  The stock free drivers seemed to
work just fine, but I'm trying the Nvidia drivers because I wanted to
play around with Compiz.  Ubunutu offered to download & install from
Nvidia for me, and that appeared to work without a hitch.  Very
convenient.

alex