How to disable multiple versions of 'procps'

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Mar 20 11:31:43 MST 2009

Synaptic just did an hours worth of updates on one of my systems,
ending with the warning message shown below.  So some questions:

#1. How could I have ended up with multiple versions of 'procps'?
#2. How do I find and eliminate any extra multiple versions?
#3. The warning describes setting one of two options in a configuration file,
   but it does not indicate which configuration file or where to find it. ??
#4. I tried typing "RPM::Allow ..." at the command line, and got "not found" ??
#5. So what should I do?

The warning message:

W: There are multiple versions of "procps" in your system.
This package won't be cleanly updated, unless you leave
only one version. To leave multiple versions installed,
you may remove that warning by setting the following
option in your configuration file:
RPM::Allow-Duplicated { "^procps$"; };

To disable these warnings completely set:
RPM::Allow-Duplicated-Warning "false";