Is my DVD burner beginning to fail?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 15:22:57 MST 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 9:04 AM, mz <mz at infomagic.net> wrote:

> I burn copies of music CDs to take to the office or traveling. This past
> week, I burned half a dozen different titles. Half were bad. Subsequent
> attempts were inconsistently successful, and I discovered some of
> the "good" ones played on only some players. Overall, a number of them
> play on only some players, others don't play at all, and some play some
> of the time. When they don't play, the CD players say there is either
> no disc, "error," or an error w/ the TOC.
>
> The drive is a NEC DVD+RW NC-2100AD. Results are the same regardless of
> the CD-R substrate.
>
> The program I'm using is K3B on openSUSE 11.0 w/ KDE. These are the
> first problems I've run into since switching to GNU/Linux this past
> November. The log doesn't show anything really obvious, which it would
> have to be for me to spot it.

I have also had some problems recently with the burner in my HP laptop.  The
most recent was using K3B in ubuntu 8.10 to burn a DVD .iso  and each
attempt would fail with a write error.  Then I let the default Brasero try
and was successful (and on one of the media which had failed so actually
nothing had been written to it).  I have always preferred to use K3B without
problem before.  No clue what is going on here.

> Any ideas as to what to investigate? Or should I just start shopping for
> a new drive?
>
> TIA,
> Mark Z.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry