Ubuntu Live CD Question

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Mar 10 21:12:10 MST 2009

Am 10. Mär, 2009 schwätzte Mark Jarvis so:

> We recently obtained a used Dell notebook for my wife.  The DVD drive was
> toast, so I bought an external/USB DVD drive to use. Wanting to test it on
> some Linux things, I tried booting from an Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD. After it
> failed to boot from the CD (no surprise), booting instead into Windows, the
> Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD was still in the drive. After a while, the CD did an
> autorun and offered to install as an application under windows--with two
> caveats: 1) hibernation was disabled, and 2) "disk performance will be
> slightly reduced."

I believe that's the wubi install.

You might be able to select the USB connected DVD as an alternate boot
device when booting. I think F12 is what Dell useѕ to pull up the
alternate boot device menu.

> Questions:
>
> 1) Has anyone out there done this?

It was covered at the east side meeting about a year ago.

> 2) How well does it work?

I've seen good things said about it.

> 3) Is disk performance under both Windows & Linux affected? How much?
>
> 4) When I'm through playing with it, does it uninstall cleanly?

It's supposed to. See the wubi documentation and reviews for more info.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Molotov Bible - religion thrown at other people in order to cause an
#  explosive situation - der.hans