need help with NFS and user authentication

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Sun Mar 1 20:03:42 MST 2009

The volume is mounted with automount.  I never enter credentials of
any kind currently, since I'm using sys authentication, which is based
only on user ids.  I was curious about how to change that situation,
but this is working at the moment.

What would I gain by having the share mounted on my desktop as opposed
to anywhere else?  I guess I don't follow that part of your question.