PLUG Etiquette

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:17:34 MST 2009

At the most recent W Side meeting, I recognized MatthewMPP and der.hans, but
most of the others, I just spaced out, when they stated their names.  ...so
I ended up being just as ignorant afterwards, as I was before ..
I *think* some of the names were those of posters who have posted on
PLUG-Discuss before, but I can't remember, (for sure).

Plus, I did bring along a name tag, and I wore it, even though some of the
others might have thought that I was being a little bit too "way out there"
by doing so (even for a nerd organization).

> [...] I can bring a box of name tags [...]

seriously dude, -- do it!  I am willing and (imho) able to "hand
print" in *courier
new,* at "about" the same speed as "normal" folks* who are (barely) aspiring
to write 'semi' legibly

*footnote:  *Ha!*  Like Plug 'has' any ["normal" folks] ...
ob. link: http://www.keepaustinweird.com/

>  No matter what he/she never remembers anyone's name or face.

I plead the fifth; ...Maybe the name tags will help.

ALSO, -- someone had an idea, a while back, to keep a list of photos
somewhere (on the web, or something) -- at least for those individuals who
post "once in a while", OR more often, to PLUG-Discuss.

I do not know what happened to that idea, but, for those (25 or so) members
of
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35772265339
[the group "Phoenix Linux Users Group (PLUG)" on facebook],
we do have pictures of them -- unfortunately, some of them are people whom I
have never heard of (nor heard from), on PLUG-Discuss nor anywhere else.

I think there should be an informal PLUG etiquette guideline, that once
someone has posted to PLUG-Discuss at least 42 times, they should agree to
allow their photo to be available somewhere on the web.
Not that we can moderate them out of existence if they just submit a picture
of a submarine, or something, (or none at all); but, just saying, that it
would be a *nice gesture. *

I for one will try to bring a digital camera to any events that I attend,
and anyone who wants to be shot, I will be happy to do my best.  (and, -- as
long as it is OK with the person depicted in the picture -- then the photo
could go, umm, somewhere on the web.)

OK?--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ