Clustering

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 00:35:43 MST 2009

Are you looking at the 1u Tesla or the x58 personal supercomputer they
are talking about...

I would look into RH mostly for compatability fo ahrdware as it is
tested by them, and for most packages... but the distro is really
dependant on your app.

Man they have really changed tesla, it used to be a bunch of gpu cards
in a box chained to a header and then 16 of those can be tied together
to a single machine.

but now you can buy a preconfigured clsuter

http://www.penguincomputing.com/products/linux/server/web_promotion/tesla_workgroup_cluster

man i stop following for just 1 year...

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Eric Shubert<ejs at shubes.net> wrote:
> I'm looking at clustering together a handful of hosts, each running dual
> nvidia tesla cards. Modeling applications of some sort. I honestly don't
> know much more than that.
>
> Michael Butash wrote:
>> You're probably talking infiniband switching, infiniband hba's,
>> pci-e/htx interfaces, fiber channel disk arrays, etc.  Linux seems to
>> support infiniband hba's reasonably well, and 10g 4x infiniband hba's
>> tend to be cheap these days on ebay.  We're talking $100 used hba's for
>> the nodes, and ~$1200 for a 12 port Cisco/Topspin switch.  I thought
>> about buying some to play with, as it ends up cheaper than IP or Fiber
>> channel technologies, yet can replace them all to some extents.
>>
>> IB is quite versatile, emulating fiber-channel, IP network, or raw
>> interrupt switching to a cpu and memory via different driver socket
>> interface api's.  Cray always used a similar means to make theirs with
>> proprietary north bridge and software, but IB is more of a standard now,
>> enabling (relatively) cheap supercomputing on the fly with commodity
>> hardware.  Well, hardware-wise at least...
>>
>> So yeah, what apps are you talking about utilizing it?
>>
>> -mb
>>

>> On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 13:47 -0700, Matt Graham wrote:
>>> From: Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net>
>>> I've only set one up, but I maintain the ones that my predecessors
>>> set up.  It's not rocket science.

>>> Not really.  Every distro has heartbeat/DRBD/LVS available.

>>> Define the problem you're trying to solve more rigorously than just
>>> "clustering" first.  Do you want flailover between 2 boxes?  Do you
>>> want a frontend box with N service-providing boxes behind it?  The
>>> answers to that greatly affect what you will end up doing, as does
>>> the question "What services is this cluster going to provide?"
>>>
>>> Basically, all I can do is handwave without answers to "what services?"
>>> and "how many machines?".
>>>

> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

Stephen