HackFest Series: June HackFest News, Pendrive Tools & Flags

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Jun 25 18:06:07 MST 2009

We want to thank the Foundation for Blind Children for their generous
donations of time, equipment and festing facilities for the PLUG Linux
Security Series.

In June, none took any of the flags:

1) Checkpoint FW-1 (physical access encroachment)
One (who chose to remain nameless) did swiftly take the closest thing
to a flag by determining the file system was Solaris zfs (after
booting to alternate Linux media and attempting to mount it).

2) Modem bank terminal access:
Although we got fairly close, we could not get any serial connection
out of this antiquated "access solution".

We did manage to build one Fedora system for R&D for the Foundation
for Blind Children (since so many FOSS tools exist for Linux).  We are
going to try to continue to build systems for the school as we go
along, for use in our labs that can quickly be refactored for the
kids.

We wanted to share some links for those of you who were creating Pendrive tools:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-knoppix-510/
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-810-persistent-flash-drive-install-from-live-cd/
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-backtrack-linux-installation/

Any or all of us are available to support your processes to build
toolkits, beit CD/DVD or pendrive --> just ask!

We hope that you all come to hear FreeIPA presentation in July and
join us for Puppet Theatre in August (which is really going to be a
FEST!)

See you there!

We want to thank everyone for respecting the school's network
boundaries; since we all know what we are capable of, no flag is real
unless it's shared, no flag can be shared unless it's been first
designated as a target.  Anything else will bring upon dire
conseqences.  We only hack for charities; and bring good consequences;
never against unfair targets and do nothing without a fat paycheck!

http://www.obnosis.com/motivatebytruth/consequences2.jpeg

Catch Linux Layer 8 Security at linuxgazette.com = ongoing security series.

--
(503)754-4452 www.obnosis.com