Slightly OT: Got a weird one regarding EMail logs and ISPs.

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Mon Jun 22 23:24:18 MST 2009

 I'm assuming this is small claims court and it's already past mediation.
I was on the other side of such a law suit - I was suing someone for work
performed that they didn't pay that they authorized.

I showed up in court with 300+ pages of emails, invoices, etc and he showed
up with about 10 pages of documentation.  I laid it all out chronologically,
tabbed it so it was easy to follow and presented one to the judge, the
defendant, and had one myself (the look on the defendant's face was
priceless).  It clearly documented what we agreed to, what was paid and on
what basis, and every other detail required to prove without a doubt that my
version was the truth.  Each side got to question the other in front of the
judge and I did a pretty good job of talking the defendant into a corner
using facts he did not dispute.  It helped that I managed to get the
defendant angry without getting angry myself. In the end it came down to the
defendant admitting that he'd received and paid previous invoices and that
he received and didn't pay the one in dispute.   I won and got paid.

Since then I've had a contract to spell out what was agreed upon and
screened my clients and who I work with much better.
Your friend needs to spend a considerable amount of time collecting the
documents to prove his side of the truth.  Specifically anything that states
what they actually agreed to.  It might be worth it to split the difference
considering how much time it takes to prepare.

JD
--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
jd at twingeckos.com
480.288.8195x201
http://www.twingeckos.com

P. J. O'Rourke<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/p_j_orourke.html>
- "If government were a product, selling it would be illegal."