OT: book to CD/DVD ?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jun 9 13:14:57 MST 2009

From: Mark Jarvis <m.jarvis at cox.net>
> I'd like to scan it in again but this time put the scanned pages
> on a CD or DVD. Does anyone know of a reputable shop that they
> would recommend for this? I could scan the pages myself, but
> would prefer to find a source for making pressed disks.

Any place that does scanning would be able to do this, but you'll
pay quite a bit of $ for pressed disks.  Setup for that is really
expensive, and you're probably only going to press 10 or so copies.
I'd say it's totally not worth it.  An audio CD I burned 9.5 years
ago has been living in my car for 9.5 years and still works fine,
so storing a burned data CD in the dark and at room temp should
work for double that.

> If anyone can point me to where I can read up on preferred scan
> resolution, output format, general information, etc

Text:  300 DPI Group4 TIFF, black-n-white
Black-n-white pictures:  300 DPI LZW TIFF, grayscale
Color pictures:  300 DPI LZW TIFF, RGB

...200 8.5x11" pages in 300 DPI Group4 TIFF will fit in 100M.
Modify for how these pages are set up; grayscale and color use up
a lot more space because Group4 is insanely efficient.  TIFF is
pretty future-proof and is lossless unless you do something silly
like use JPEG-TIFF.

(Yeah, I worked extensively with scanning and TIFFs at my old job.)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows