OT: Shirts!

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Jul 27 17:02:02 MST 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 3:17 AM, Lisa Kachold<lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:
> ABELconf Tee shirt idea:
>
> Sponsorship: (list of all the sponsors for the con)
>
> 12 Steps of Free Open Source
>
>    * Step 1 - We admitted Microsoft was powerless over our IT use -
> that many IT systems had become unmanageable
>    * Step 2 - Came to believe that a Power greater than Microsoft
> could restore us to sanity
>    * Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our IT hardware and phones over
> to the care of Free Open Software Source
>    * Step 4 - Made a searching and fearless inventory of our IT security
>    * Step 5 - Admitted to ourselves the exact nature of closed
> sources, IT compartmentalization and monopoly restricting wide
> engineering advancement
>    * Step 6 - Were entirely ready to support FOSS through volunteering
>    * Step 7 - Humbly asked everyone to expose these limiting costly
> shortcomings widely
>    * Step 8 - Made a list of all areas that Microsoft had harmed, and
> became willing to find replacement solutions for them all
>    * Step 9 - Made direct FOSS source, education and training
> contributions where ever possible
>    * Step 10 - Continued to take IT source inventory and when
> processes and programs were too expensive and wasteful promptly
> admitted it
>    * Step 11 - Sought to improve our conscious understanding of the
> truth outside of clever marketing campaigns
>    * Step 12 - Having had an intellectual awakening as the result of
> these steps, we tried to carry this message to all others and to
> practice ethical FOSS principles in all our IT affairs

I was privately critiqued for this shirt, so I responded:

Anything is fair game......

(Thanks for sharing!)

I doubt very seriously that sarcastic intelligent humor stops anyone
from doing anything (especially seeking other like minded individuals
who want a "different way to live" [read "a place to meet women; be
"big book thumpers" and "drink deep of altruistic personal gain"]); if
your world view is this black and white simplistic, as to actually
think that our little humorous analogy with CLOSED SORES (corporate
computing) addiction would be "bad press" you must not listen to
current comedians or go to the various Recovery Bookstores and read
bumper stickers, cards and other joke materials?    {Laugh}

Evidently you want to wear autistic "should based" blinders while
righteously partaking in attempts to CONTROL everyone and everything
that so marks those with the "disease of recovery" since you "get a
choice today". </dogma>

There are a great number of other self help (and drug and alcohol
recovery program) groups:  Rational Recovery, Matrix Based Treatment,
Self Actualization, & RET, that provide great solutions (that don't
exchange a 12 Step "group addiction" for the disease).  Simple
underlying oppression, emotional/physical/mental health treatment are
also very very successful!

12 Step programs for Overeating, Sexual Addition, Drugs, Alcohol
(although in almost all 12 Step groups, one finds Codependent
Personality disordered individuals attending the wrong group (for
example with SA issues, obsessively acting out with drinking or eating
when oppressed, etc. ).  Statistically psychologists track the
Codependent family model generationally and incorrectly 12 Steppers
mis-identify with  behaviors touted in meetings to belong to the
disease of addiction. In actuality drug use, pseudo addiction, self
medication present due to many different reasons, the least of which
is dual diagnosis personality disorders.

Individual identification often occurs in institutionalized ways in
recovering individuals, who, usually need, professional medical,
emotional (counseling/PTSD) and neurochemical treatment, not further
abuse or anything less than state of the art treatment, which is now
readily available outside of "support groups".

All 12 Step groups depend on self perpetuating cultish agreement ("if
you don't attend meetings you will lapse") and wide identification
with an outdated addiction model (and membership requires a "higher
power" who can be trusted to change people places and things as a
technique for mental freedom over rigid thinking patterns and rage [a
symptom of trauma reaction forming and PTSD]).

The addiction recovery philosophy of 12 Steps translates very well to
closed source corporate reliance on "Microsoft" or a third party.  It
can show clearly the dependence based on fear,  and expose the
simplistic lack of technical training, process detail and
understanding of the "corporation" developed source that causes an
addiction to lack of personal (company wide) responsibility.

My sister is a drug and alcohol treatment facility owner.  I wrote her
website:  http://www.recovery-systems.org.

Using the 12 Steps here is not making fun of sexual addiction,
adolescent trauma, poor family systems, obsessive compulsive
disorders, borderline autism, food intake and metabolism control
issues or alcohol and drug addiction.
--

(623)239-3392
(503)754-4452 www.obnosis.com