[SOLVED] Out of control mailbox

Joe lists at joefleming.net
Fri Jul 24 12:14:04 MST 2009

Well, it's not, really, but there were a couple problems:

1) She was using Entourage, which is the Mac version of Outlook. It does
a pretty terrible job (in my experience) downloading large email
archives. Plus, she already has like 8 years of email saved up in
Entourage, which makes it INCREDIBLY slow to do anything.

2) The refresh time was set to 3 minutes, and it was taking more than 3
minutes to download the whole thing (since it runs so slow anyway). So,
mid-download, she would get a message saying "Mailbox is in use" and
then everything would just die.

The reason it was so big is because she was leaving messages on the
server for 30 days. She's reduced that number to 7 and changed the
download interval from 3 minutes to 7 minutes. Hopefully it'll be a
while before the problem pops up again.

-Joe