Ubuntu Desktop locks

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jul 22 14:01:12 MST 2009

I just updated my primary desktop to 9.04 the other day from ibex, and
have been experiencing odd desktop crashes, but it's simply just
restarting x for me.  An occasional annoyance, but thus far only seems
to do it about twice a week (so far).  This could be related to a memory
leak Ive had in the system since 7.04 that only I seem to be plagued
with (or no one else notices), as it seems to happen after a few days,
about the time typically other apps will start flaking out.

I've had issues with the computer crashing as you're stating from
hardware, both from a faulty video card and memory (both swapped to fix
issue).  I'd recommend running a memtest from bootdisk to check the
memory, and depending on your config, disabling compiz, or using a 2d
driver vs. 3d (nvidia).  Check /var/log/messages or syslog or daemon to
see if anything weird is occurring there too.

-mb