1984 George Orwell and the Kindle

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sat Jul 18 17:12:29 MST 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Marco Savo<savomarco at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand what's the point, you can read for free on-line
> http://www.george-orwell.org/1984
> This copyright stuff is too messy for me to understand
>
> All animals are equal, But some animals are more equal than others.
> Animal Farm, the three pigs "Lenin, Stalin, Trotzky"

The copyright on "1984" and "Animal Farm" has expired in many
countries but not yet in the USA.  The publisher who provided it to
Amazon specializes in public domain books but evidently failed to
catch that they were not authorized to publish in the USA.  Amazon
missed it too.  The publisher requested that the book be removed from
the Kindle store.  Amazon did so AND removed it from the Kindles and
Kindle applications in iPhones and iPods of the people who purchased
it.  Amazon now states that in the future they will just remove from
the store and not devices.

Copyright is messy.  Reading this comic book reveals and helps to
understand better: http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd/comics/zoomcomic.html

Alan