OT: The palm PRE ("with webOS")

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Jul 13 19:28:25 MST 2009

On 7/13/09, Ryan Rix <phrkonaleash at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike Schwartz wrote:
>> I don't know anything about this [new?] "PRE" phone:
>> http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/
>> but I heard something about it, today, while I was on hold
>> with "Sprint PCS" customer service.
>>
>> ((my daughter's [Sprint] cell phone had been in a status
>>   of "lost or stolen" -- we didn't know which.  We had
>>   it disabled, since it might have been "stolen".
>>   Now, it has been found.  So, the call today
>>   to "Sprint PCS" customer service, was to have
>>   the phone re-enabled.))
>>
>> The reason I am writing here (to PLUG) is that I saw sopmething
>> that is maybe not "100%" OT ["off topic"].  A blurb for a video
>> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnlzbuLRwM)
>> on YouTube about this "PRE" phone,
>> (that showed up among the "hits" from a search engine) said
>> << "
>> *Palm Pre* <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnlzbuLRwM>
>> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DJRnlzbuLRwM&ei=HLxbSvrfMIzAsgPA_-mrCg&sa=X&oi=video_result&resnum=3&ct=thumbnail&usg=AFQjCNFATDfpwdgaIT3HV9x6QJjxeSSfrA>3
>> min 6 sec - Jan 8, 2009 -
>>
>> [image: Rated 4.5 out of 5.0]
>>

>> Here is a video tour of the *Palm Pre* with webOS
>>
>> " >>
>> ...and the part about "webOS" struck me as potentially sorta "software
>> related".
>>

> Hi,
>
> Planning on getting one within a few weeks.
>
> It runs GNU/Linux in the core.
> It's possible currently to hack it into Verizon's network (voice only,
> no data, atm :( )
> It's possible to set up Debian chroot on the phone.
>
> You can do all sorts of fun things under the hood with it. Plus
> developing for it ain't half bad (using html/js/css and palm's "mojo"
> framework)
>
> Ryan

It's $400.00 or more, however with a signed contract!

It's for Sprint - so your data plan and phone will run at least
$65.00-70.00 a month in order to use all the features.

So, you can purchase a Netbook or ASUS eePC running an Atom proc, with
all the bells and just use all the free Wifi with Skype for no ongoing
monthly costs?

You can purchase a Nokia N810 with a phone plan and it will let you
use Wifi for data without a data plan, as well as a Cell carrier plan
for $200.00 (and regular phone costs of $9.00 a month for additional
line or $35.00 basic voice) on Cingular, T-Mobile, Fido, Rogers and
other GSM Carriers.

WHY SIGN ANY CELL CONTRACT?  Get off the grid!

SECURITY Considerations of Cell Phones:
You do realize you are each carrying your own Federal monitoring
devices?  Speakerphones can even be opened via commands from the
switch for most major phones?  Having a problem where your phone
doesn't ring?  Feel like "between people" are answering your calls?
Notice that sometimes an outbound call gets a recorded switch error -
one of the two DHS contracted listeners might be late to the ACD
group!

--
http://linuxgazette.net/164/kachold.html
(623)239-3392 Skype: obn0sis