Job posting at FaceBook

Shawn Badger badger.shawn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 21:00:00 MST 2009

I was finally looking at my Facebook account and saw an ad from them for a
job. I know alot of people are looking lately, so here it is. I don't know
anything about it other what it already says on the site.

http://www.facebook.com/careers/positions.php?id=238

For those of you who don't want to click on the link:

Site Reliability EngineerFacebook is seeking talented operations engineers
to join the Site Reliability Engineering team. The ideal candidate will have
strong communication skills, a passion for tinkering with Linux, and an
almost insane fondness for fast-paced, seat-of-your-pants troubleshooting
and crisis management. The position is full-time and is based in our main
office in downtown Palo Alto. This position reports to the Manager of Site
Reliability Engineering.
Responsibilities

   - Monitor the stability and performance of the website
   - Remotely troubleshoot and diagnose hardware problems
   - Debug issues with Linux software, applications and network
   - Resolve technical challenges encountered in LAMP technologies
   - Develop and maintain monitoring tools and automation systems
   - Predict and respond to utilization variances across multiple
   datacenters
   - Identify and triage all outage related events
   - Facilitate communication, coordinate escalation, and work with subject
   matter experts to implement critical fixes
   - Automate and streamline processes

Requirements

   - 2-3 years+ Linux support/sys admin experience in an Internet operations
   environment
   - BA/BS in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
   - Working knowledge of Linux, TCP/IP, Apache and mySQL
   - Experience working with network management systems and monitoring
   tools, such as Nagios, Ganglia and Cacti
   - Competency in Shell, PHP, Perl or Python. C is a plus
   - Solid understanding of web services architecture and commonly employed
   technologies
   - A sense of urgency in responding to and resolving critical issues that
   relate to the performance of the site and/or core infrastructure
   - Excellent verbal and written communication skills
   - Participation in a shifted coverage schedule, including occasional
   evenings shifts

LocationPalo Alto, CA