Series 2 Tivo Setup Help PLEASE

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Jul 5 22:22:10 MST 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Kurt Granroth <
kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com <kurt%2Bplug-discuss at granroth.com>> wrote:

> Your best bet, by far, is to try the ,401# hack.  I used that for years
> with no problems.
>
> Obviously, it won't work well (at all) with the wireless USB... so don't
> use it!  Get an approved wired USB adapter and plug it in.  You can
> always return the adapter if you won't need it later.
>
> I will say this, though: Have you used the network features of a TiVO
> before?  If not, then you may not be satisfied with its speed over
> wireless.  Heck, I wish it was quite a bit faster over a 100Mbps wired
> connection... a wireless one felt almost like analog modem speed
> comparatively.  You may find that you'll want to keep the wired adapter
> after all.
>
> On 7/5/09 6:45 PM, Lisa Kachold wrote:
> > Hi!  My Series 2 Tivo requires a phone line to do guided setup.
> >
> > http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=406951
> >
> > After that I can configure the Wireless USB Adapter in Networking, but
> > unfortunately with my OS Tivo Version, I supposedly MUST (according to
> > Tivo) have the phone.
> >
> > I did see a few old posts about using Windows XP Hyperterm and a NULL
> > modem connection from PC to rj11.
> >
> > http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/
> >
> > I have a serial null modem cable, but...
> >
> > a) I don't have any Serial connection on my Vista
> > b) I have pppd on linux
> > c) I don't have a rj11 adapter (could go to radio shack?)
> >
> > and some for getting around the Guided Setup via a dialout hack using
> > ",401# with a ethernet DHCP connection:
> >

> http://everything2.com/title/How%2520to%2520setup%2520a%2520TiVo%2520without%2520a%2520phone%2520line
> >
> > d) I have only a Wireless USB - not an ethernet one.
> >

> > 1) Anyone have a house with a hardwired phone line and a full boat cable
> > I can do setup with?  (Takes about 5 hours via phone line)?
> >
> > 2) Other suggestions?

Thanks for everyone's swift assistance!

I have the OLDER Series 2 firmware (which is better for MODS).

This list is amazing!
Someone instantly came through with a POTS line and Cox HD extended cable
setup and it's happily downloading at his place through the night.

The throughput for the 802.11g is worth the initial trouble.
I can't wait to hack it a bit.

Thanks again!
--
(623)239-3392 Skype: obn0sis