Laptop (cell phone) in my pocket?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Jul 5 07:33:58 MST 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 5:09 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com <
kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:

> So my Treo 650 died.
> Good.
> I hated the $%#!@ thing and I will most likely not buy another Treo (unless
> it runs Linux).
> Treo I could, Ericsson NOT!
>
> Anyway...
> With all the new phone capabilities, I was waiting for my "dream phone" to
> materialize (Neo FreeRunner from openmoko.com) to ditch the Treo, but it
> seems that it won't happen...   :(
>
> So now I am on a crunch and I need help to find a phone...
> My simple "specifications" are:
> I want a phone that I can attach a real keyboard to and open up an SSH
> session using either WiFi or the the cellular network.
>
> In short, I want a "Laptop in my pocket"
>
> AND!
> (Important AND)
> I will not buy a Micro$haft phone!
> (In fact I will not buy ANYTHING Micro$haft unless it is a LEAST-AND-URGENT
> resource)
>
> Finally, I am stuck at the moment with AT&T, but I would like something
> that
> I can plug anywhere.
> Any ideas?
>
> Considering the Iphone, at least it is Apple...   :)
> Thanks!
> ET

Android G2 phone from Ebay = $140 unlocked.  Works on TMobile.  Touchscreen
is nice - Google apps.  But it's not really as well designed outside (and
the graphics are hoaky) as an iPhone.  It does have a cheap camera (again
not an iPhone) and no speakerphone (perhaps a benefit, rather than
limitation).  There is really no "free" wifi, since you have to have the
data package from the carrier (TMobile) it costs data throughput (however
it's cheaper).  Unlocked from China, it's not going to have any of the
TMobile apps (hotspot, Fave5, etc.).   But the G1 directly from TMobile is
pretty sweet too; it contains a full QWERTY keyboard.  Consider a data pack
and your phone is going to charge at least $60.00 a month (with very few
minutes to talk).  Since these are Android phones, all the Android apps work
on them.  Trust me though the SSH is not what it's cracked up to be.

iPhone doesn't run alot of stuff until you unlock it, but it's a better
device, however, it's comparable to a NetBook in cost?  Why not just carry a
danged computer with a softphone application, like Skype?    Unlimited Skype
trunking to PSTN is about $30.00 a year.

You can use Skype on the iPhone with a new AJAX interface that refreshes the
Opera browser, but it requires:

1) Data throughput charges
2) Skype minutes, since it's going to be a PSTN trunked call.
3) Unlocked G3

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/skype/skype-on-iphone.asp

With Skype's $30.00 a year unlimited costs, your calls are recorded if/when
your Netbook is turned down, you can forward your calls to another device,
or add as many clients as you need.  It's just not going to be small and
sheik and "kewl".  But that $30.00 a year is really tempting running a nice
NetBook?

Other really suite phones are:

Nokia/Linux:

   - Nokia E90 Review (Good for sys
admins)<http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/nokia-e90-review.html>
   - Linux mobile phone manager –
Wammu<http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/hack-linux-based-nokia-770-internet-tablet.html>

Nokia 3650:  (Series 60 Symbian)   http://gagravarr.org/series-60/  OLDER

Nokia phones support c++ apps, as well as Java programs (J2ME with CLDC or
MIDP). There is also a funky new open language called
OPL<http://opl.symbiandiaries.com/>for it. Oh, and there's a python
interpreter for them.

The Nokia Internet 770 Tablet is really fine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_770
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/07/20/nokia-770.html

The Nokia Internet 880 is just as suite, running Maemo:  http://maemo.org/

Applications:  http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux_nokia_other.html

Other:
Limited phones by Sony/Ericson run Wammu a linux management software:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/download-wammu-linux-unix-phone-manager.html

Personally, I opt for the Nokia 880 (with Skype and your cheapest minutes to
keep costs low).

--
(503)754-4452 wiki.obnosis.com
scientology.obnosis.com