UBCD4WIN

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Sat Feb 28 23:26:08 MST 2009

mike havens wrote:
> I downloaded it and am unpacking it now. I am, however, unclear as to
> where to get updates and how to install them into the program. What I
> am going to do is put it onto a flash drive and just update the virus
> info!

Mike,

Once you boot the disc (it takes a frighteningly long time to boot up
windows from a super-compressed CD), it will ask you first which shell
to launch, the default one is fine.  Then it will ask if you want to
bring up the network interfaces. choose yes and just accept the defaults
(assuming DHCP).  Then once you are online you can for instance launch
SpyBot Search & Destroy (one of the AV tools), and use the built-in
update function.  It will connect to their server and download the
updates (to the RAMDISK) and then restart (spybot S&D restarts). You can
then do a scan with the newest updates.

You can also use the web browser, etc, if you want to download install
your own program (if its small enough to fit in the ramdisk).