ot: virus in MS (what to do)

mike havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 17:26:29 MST 2009

I'm so sorry I didn't mention that this is spreculative. It is not for my
computer! I AGREE.... run linux and all is solved. Nut with what Iam doing
currently sometimes people buy a used computer with a virus prei-installed:)
and my coworker asked me what to do and so I am asking you so I can be a
computer god to him.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:

>  I would question your assumption related to the virus infection while
> taking a minute to study what actually has infected your machine.
> Additionally, I would analyse what you did to get the virus in the first
> place.  Exchange/Outlook mail, surfing under Administrator rights, surfing
> without a NoScript, accepting attachments, Adobe, using a USB key to the
> best of your ability and track the source?
>
> While you can certainly attempt to resurrect your system, it's actually
> going to be faster and easier to use running Linux.
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
>
> Some of the determination related to whether you should rebuild, of course,
> is going to lay on what hardware your system is?  Some more obscure drivers
> don't come inherent in even recent distros?
> You can do a quick google of your systems to include raid card, hardware
> bus and chipset and include wireless card to help with this decision.
>
> *And whatever you run, you will need to become completely aware of the
> limitations in security for that distro/OS.*
>
> Before you rebuild you can boot into a LiveCD (Knoppix is the easiest) and
> move all your files to a USB key should you have important documents or
> photos you need to save.  You could actually run with a LiveCD for a while
> until you determine what to do.
>
> You could also run with BOTH, setting up a dual boot system.  Which distro
> you choose is going to, again, depend on your hardware?
>
> obnosis.com <http://www.obnosis.com/> | wiki.obnosis.com| (503)754-4452
> PLUG <http://http//plug.phoenix.az.us> HACKFESTS <http://uat.edu/> 2nd
> Saturday Each Month at Noon - 3PM
>
> > From: kitepilot at kitepilot.com
> > To: plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> > Subject: Re: ot: virus in MS (what to do)
> > Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:18:29 -0500

> > Wrong...
> > The best think to do is to ditch Micro$haft and install Linux.
> > Not that I am being facetious... ;-)
> > Enrique
> >

> > mike havens writes:
> >
> > > hey guys, I know that if you get a virus in M$ the best thing to do is
> > > reinstall the system. Would the next best thing be to install a copy of
> > > clamwin into their computer.?
> > >
> > > --