itsy bitsy CRM .. open and free

Trent Shipley tshipley at deru.com
Wed Dec 30 21:56:46 MST 2009

dancer: I'm building a custom data-base for my student records - silly me..

8:54pmTrent: what kind of student records?
like a customer database?
you might find something for free...

{discussion wanders}

8:55pmTrent: so what about this student database.

8:55pmDancer:As for the data base - I need something that will keep info on how they found me, when they registered, enrollment history, injury info, etc.

8:56pmTrent:customer relationship management system.

8:57pmDancer:of course contact info, also things like if a certain promotion brought them in
I'm looking for trends, what works, some info on where they are geographically

8:57pmTrent:the need is so common the applications have a name.
let me ask around.

8:57pmDancer: reinventing the wheel, am I

So what I need is a little CRM suitable for a one-person business.  The budget is zero, so FOSS is in, though to be honest it could run on Access or that crippled SQL Server thing that is free.  Whatever bundles with OpenOffice would be great as a back end.  MySQL would be good as long as it was install and forget.

I can find FOSS software targeting the mid-sized and large enterprise with ERP and CRM software, but I didn't find a little application.  Do any of you know of something appropriate.  This is actually the kind of software I could hack to customize for my friend if I found something almost-but-not-quite suitable.