network woes

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Dec 24 09:47:23 MST 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 14:06 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
>> Honestly, I've never seen a cable/dsl modem that acts as a DHCP server
>> or NAT translator.  They normally are only connected to one computer
>> or router and just pass the IP/DNS info to the computer or router.
>> All routers I have ever dealt with DO act as DHCP servers and usually
>> provide NAT.
> ----
> every dsl modem that I've seen coming from Qwest the past 5 years is a
> combination modem/router and that includes the awful 2-wire things they
> try to pawn off on people (which means they do provide DHCP & NAT). They
> also include wireless.
>
> Craig

Every Qwest DSL modem I've seen (7+ years) contains a router (dhcp,
nat). Even models w/out a switch (multiple connections) provide dhcp/nat
on the back end. I currently have an Actiontec M1000 (a fairly new
model) with one lan connection, but it still does dhcp and nat.

These DSL modems can be configured to operate in bridged mode (defeating
the dhcp/nat features), but that's not typical.

Cable modems, on the other hand, don't typically have router
functionality. I haven't had much experience with cable modems lately,
but all the ones I've seen (still?) have no router features. They simply
give the public IP address to the device (computer or router) that's
attached to them. Some newer models might have routers in them, but I
wouldn't know.

Trent's situation is DSL, not cable. ;)

--
-Eric 'shubes'