network woes

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 15:55:59 MST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:

> On 12/23/09, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Honestly, I've never seen a cable/dsl modem that acts as a DHCP server or
> > NAT translator.  They normally are only connected to one computer or
> router
> > and just pass the IP/DNS info to the computer or router.  All routers I
> have
> > ever dealt with DO act as DHCP servers and usually provide NAT.
>
> ActionTec, LinkSys, Motorola and a few other Cox brands of Cable modem
> all do DHCP as part of the cox network provisioning solutions:
>
> http://omgili.com/address-cable-cox-ip-static

Yes, virtually all cable/dsl modems are DHCP clients but they are generally
NOT DHCP servers UNLESS, as Craig points out below the cable/dsl modem
happens to ALSO be a router which then also acts as a DHCP server to the
local network.  I know they exist but I have never seen one in my or any
client/friends home.

> > The trouble he is seeing sounds most like a hardware problem associated
> with
> > wiring or the switch portion of the router.  I would try something like:
> >
> >    1. traceroute yahoo.com though I don't think it will be definitive,
> >    2. connect the computer directly to the cable/dsl modem preferably
> >       1. If the problem goes away, replace the router,
> >       2. if it does not, try changing the ethernet cable
> >       3. if it still does not go away, we look to the computer and its
> >       hardware
> >    3. computer back to the router, change the ethernet card and try again
> >    4. if you still have a problem, search log files (dmesg, etc)
> >    5. left for last because one computer has more problems than others,
> but
> >    you could also try logging into the router and the modem to look at
> log
> >    files.  Maybe one computer has more problems because of when it is
> used
> >    rather than the fact of it being that computer.
> >

> --
> Skype: (623)239-3392
> AT&T: (503)754-4452
> www.it-clowns.com
> Only the dead have seen the end of war. -Plato

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson