Bummer... I busted the MBR. :(

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Fri Dec 18 06:14:38 MST 2009

Hello windoze knowledgeable people...   :)

Short story:

Preamble:
I have this WinXP laptop provided by my employer that I'd like to run
virtual from a Linux installation on a flash drive.  'nuff of that...

How did I shoot my foot:
I went and installed Kubuntu 9.10 (which uses GRUB 2) on the flash drive and
forgot to tell the thing to leave /dev/sda alone...

Injury:
Now the machine only boots from the flash drive.
Bummer...   :(

Soooo...
My plan is to backup the 512 bytes of the MBR and (MOST IMPORTANT!) the
partition table and use "something" (insert cloud of ignorance here) to
rebuild the windoze boot record.

Panic attack:
Can I trust whichever tool I use (and hope you will tell me) to leave the
partition contents alone or do I better dd the whole 250GB of /dev/sda
somewhere else in case *IT* happens?
I know that there are not guarantees, but there are always chances...   :)

I've rebuilt 71803756 plus 1 MBRs holding Linux partitions and I have a
pretty good idea to what extent to trust the tools, but I am not that agile
with Micro$haft stuff.
Any hope?
Thanks!
Enrique

PS: There is always another bullet, but if I shoot my head, the hot air
escaping will worsen global warming...   :)