correct way to set timezone & clock/date?

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 25 13:28:50 MST 2009

I mis-spoke below. It is not the cable modem thata has a time display but rather the cable TV box
that has nothing to do with my network.

I have discovered something else. If I start ntpd by hand on my external gateway server
(the SuSE-10.1 system), it seems to work just fine. It seems to synchronize with the
ntp servers and provides replies to my local network systems.

It seems that is is just the actual ntpdate command to those external servers that does not
function and hangs everytime I try it. My guess is if I commented out the calls to ntpdate
in the ntp init script everything would function just fine.

Why would ntpd connect and work fine but ntpdate will not function?
--
Steve