SIP to POTS gateways ?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Aug 1 07:20:43 MST 2009

You can use a soft phone with a SIP trunk to someplace like axvoice.com.

But it's something like $9.99 a month.

It could also be used for asterisk trunking, but again, you are
delving into the world of VOIP security - which is a deep arena of udp
complexity (of simple ease to encroach).

You can hammer down Skype and VOIP to certain ports, and control
outbound packets via http/https proxy SQUID or URI filtering, but this
is only going to limit P2P exploits.

It's suggested that the daily machine you use be on a DMZ, not running
any mission critical items, not running any high user access behind
your browser and phone application, not trusted for ssh to interior
customer networks, and completely firewalled inbound and outbound,
with all packets logged and password rotated.

Rebuilding your box should be trivial, since you will, no doubt, get a
XSS tunnel or two in an average month, also.

But, even without Skype, running NoScript, with only select ports and
packets open, NSA and 2% of the population will still figure out a way
(Router Firmware Replacement, MITM UNPN flash PDF WORD UTF8) to pwn
you.

http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-07/bh-usa-07-speakers.html#Dwivedi
http://community.livejournal.com/evan_tech/238835.html
http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/hacking-the-interwebs/
http://it.slashdot.org/firehose.pl?id=465624&op=view
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=12059

On 8/1/09, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:

> I have been a big time user of Skype for years. I still have a cell phone,
> but I dumped all my other lines long ago, even my cell to now I use a
> prepaid verizon cell phone and I use Skype for all my calls. It's hard to
> beat 2.95 a month for unlimited calling!
>
> Now with this skype stupidity about, I'm curious about other companies that
> I could use for making calls through my ISP rather than getting a regular
> line again.
>
> Obviously, I'd like it to be cheap and a Linux client is a must...
>
> anyone use something other than skype?
> --

> Nathan England
> (928) 951-5116