OT: OS X Disk Utility vs Linux

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Apr 19 22:59:24 MST 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 15:00 -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Say you are experimenting with dual-booting OS X (hackintosh) on your
> existing Linux machine.  A word of advice: do NOT let Disk Utility touch
> your existing Linux drive in any way.  At all!  Not even to reformat one
> innocent little unused partition!
>
> If you do, then when you reboot, the BIOS won't recognize your partition
> map at all and even grub won't work.  Reinstalling grub isn't enough,
> either... you'll need to use fdisk to rewrite your partition table.
>
> Now back to your regularly scheduled programming... ;-)
----
My own thinking is that 'Hackintosh' is the worst of the Macintosh...the
software without the hardware. It's the Apple hardware that is
interesting...the software, meh.

The Apple software does some really strange stuff. I actually spent a
fair amount of time playing with Mac's and partitioning, etc. getting
old iMac's to work as dumb terminals on LTSP and also installing Linux
directly on them. Apple requires its own efi code because the Macintosh
computers don't have standard bios at all.

The old bubble back color iMacs with 192MB of RAM are not bad dumb
terminals except that I never could get sound to work and you cannot
possibly get things like AdobeReader or FlashPlayer to work on PPC Linux
and 1024x768 isn't very sexy these days.

You have to wonder about an OS that doesn't really play nicely in a
virtual server.

Craig

believed to be clean.