Samba share and file attributes

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 16 18:44:20 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 07:31 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Samba is getting the better of me.  No, it's wipping me.
>
> I have a Samba 3.2 server sharing a directory tree.  Let's call this
> share Master.  Here is what I need:
>
> - All Linux users in group "mastershare" need MSWindows "full control"
> on all files in the tree via MSWindows clients.
> -- This means read, write, create, delete, etc.
> -- Most important they must be able to set the MSWindows file
> attributes: read-only, system, hidden
> - All Linux users in the group "mastershareread" need read-only access
> via MSWindows clients.
> - All other Linux users have no access via MSWindows clients.
>
> The attributes part is killing me.  I cannot get the combination of
> file-system permissions and all the Samba settings involved such that
> I can allow the "mastershare" group control of the attributes!
>
> Samba settings involved are:
> map hidden
> map system
> map archive
> map readonly
> store dos attributes
> create mask
> directory mask
> force user
> force group
> (Others?)
>
> This is all interacts with the linux file system permissions bits,
> user, group, etc.  It's driving me crazy.
>
> Anyone want to help?  What more information do I need to provide?
----
I think if I understand you right, this is pretty simple then.

You're using CentOS but you jumped the package shark and installed
3.2.x? Assuming that is working like it's supposed to work...

Share - let's call it MasterShare

[MasterShare]
        comment = My MasterShare Share
        path = /var/sambashares/mastershare
        guest ok = no
        writable = yes
        write list = @mastershare
        read list = @mastershareread
        inherit permissions = yes
        store dos attributes = yes

chgroup mastershare /var/sambashares/mastershare
chmod g+w,g+s /var/www/mastershare

I'm not really sure that anything else is required.

I don't usually put 'user' files in /var and thus have no real
experience with troubleshooting selinux for that

Craig

believed to be clean.