OT Threads

mz mz at infomagic.net
Sat Apr 4 08:18:03 MST 2009

<boneal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:
> >> Same here. I also filter out topical subjects I have little to no
> >> interest in.
> >
> > The problem with filters is they are not newbie friendly.
>
> We should be pushing new people towards the applications list.
>
> > One of the goals of this group (I think) is to spread Linux use
> > into "non-geek" computer neophytes.  People who just use computers
> > without wanting or caring to know how they work.  Making filters in
> > Outlook Express or whatever is not really that hard.  But, I can
> > tell you from experience, some doctors, lawyers, executives and
> > stay-at-home parents simply will not spend the little brain power
> > it takes to understand a filter.
>
> Exactly who we want on the applications list rather than neck deep in
> geek speak on this list :).
>
> Maybe we should think of the applications list as our PR list.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

With nearly 30 years of experience as a computer user, I changed into
one of those who doesn't care how they work over the last four years; I
just want to use it. As one of the GNU/Linux newbies, I'd like to
second Hans's suggestion. Further, I'd like to request that more of the
experienced users sign up or monitor the applications list.

My recent request for a db recommendation was sent to the discussion
list even though it rightly belonged on the applications list. This was
a result of earlier experience. My first problem w/ GNU/Linux was sent
to the applications list based on the home page info. A couple people
attempted to help and one was almost jubilant there was something on
the applications list. Another person said they couldn't help and
suggested posting to the discussion list. Once on the discussion list
many more people responded and assisted w/ my problem, which was solved
in short order. I can't even remember receiving anything from the
applications list since my posting in December.

Why bother having separate lists if most everything ends up on the
discussion list?

Mark Z.
P.S. Still considering options for db's and will post later.