Cheap NAS or MSI Wind/Eee Box?

Steven stevensspam at cox.net
Thu Apr 2 22:54:29 MST 2009

Alan Dayley wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM,  <stevensspam at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I have been debating recently whether to pick up a cheapish networked external hard drive like a Western Digital My Book (that one initially because it can be picked up locally, although initially googling suggests it might not be very Linux friendly). Anyone
>>

> We have a 1TB My Book that works just fine on Linux.  Purchased it a
> few months ago.  I partitioned it half ext3, half FAT32 so we can use
> it easily for different things.  (For example, copying files from ext3
> to FAT32 causes permission settings to be lost so I want the ext3 on
> the external drive too.)
>
> Hate the name, "My Book" but it is working well for us so far.
>
> Alan

Ah! Good to hear someone having success. Did you do the initial setup
from Windows? Is that necessary? I think the main concern I had after
the initial googling for reviews was that when I grabbed a copy of the
manual off the WD web site it implied that the setup needed to be done
from either a Windows or Mac machine. My sisters computer is for a
number of reasons running Win2k which isn't on the compatibility list.
And I so rarely boot this laptop in XP that I occasionally half forget
it's even installed. The desktop machine only has XP on it, but I use it
so rarely that I haven't yet bothered to get it on the network.

There was mention in the manual of a web interface, but instead of
giving an address to put in your browser it said how to access it by way
of the software package you were expected to install.

One thing I don't remember seeing touched on in any reviews, does it run
hot or have much fan noise?

Steven