Picard music tagging

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 15 22:54:12 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 20:17 -0700, James Finstrom wrote:
> Okay,
>
> I have to share this because it is totaly awesome. Well it is awesome
> to me because I am easily ammused
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardDownload
>
> This program does a fingerprint analysis based on the first 2 minutes
> of the song and along with some other voodoo determines the track info
> and tags it to your music.  I am what you call a data packrat and I am
> horrible at orginizing much less ensuring its all tagged and pretty.
> One of my annoyances is when I have 100 alternitive songs and I hit
> the genre and like 2 show up. As I was playing on ubuntu and
> transitioning from kubuntu I was thinking maybe I could tag all my
> music with some fancy perl or bash scripting. Well no need. Anyhow if
> your a music junky but are to lazy to tag check out this program and
> if nothing else the price is right.
----
I was scratching my head to figure out what this program actually did
until I found this link...

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/AboutMusicBrainz

Just about all of my CD's were in the database so I don't have too much
use for id tagging (other than some of the data is really poor...bad
dates, misspellings, etc.)

but I have to say that one program that really impressed me was the
Windows program called Media Monkey http://www.mediamonkey.com/ which is
free but not open source and only modestly crippled to sell their 'Gold'
version.

Media Monkey solved one of the things that always teed me off about
iTunes and that was the album artwork. Evidently Apple's catalog
somewhat lacks artwork so my fairly vast CD collection was considerably
short of album art. If Media Monkey doesn't have the art already, and it
has much more than Apple, it has the quick link to Amazon where you can
grab the picture and install it rather simply. It can also inserts the
art into the files rather than the external DB that Apple doesn't
share...just another way to beat the Apple control freaks.

Craig