an idea for keeping the moderating sorta "low pressure" (was: Re: right on the edge...)

hoyden hoyden at razorgirls.org
Thu Nov 6 10:32:31 MST 2008

>> Hearing somone elses opinion shouldn't be a problem or a foreign concept. [...]
>
>      I know, maybe it's them and not us, if something like
> some honest sincere opinions (180 degrees apart, in
> alternating posts) can scare them off.   I actually can sorta
> see an argument for claiming that ((eventually!)) those
> readers / Linux users, should develop a thick enough skin
> (and maybe filtering  skills, too,  for filtering by Subject
>    and/or by sender),
> (if/as appropriate), so that they are ((eventually!)) able to
> coexist in a "Discuss" list without being at risk of
> being scared off by ...any kind of posts.
>      But, all that might TAKE TIME!
> And while we are WAITING for a given newbie to grow
> that thick skin,  it might be appropriate [a good idea]
> to afford them the option, to subscribe to PLUG-Discuss,
> [only], and not also the PLUG-Alt list,
> (in fact that should probably be the newbie "default"...).
> And giving them that choice, might mean having some
> kind of "moderator" scheme, e.g. one that provides for
>      "diversion to the PLUG-Alt list",
> instead of PLUG-Discuss, in certain cases.
>      The preceding has been, "my 0.02",

This is ridiculous. It is a list for Linux and I shouldn't have to spend
my time making filters for off-topic threads because a few people aren't
respectful enough of the reason why we subscribed; GNU/Linux/OSS/Free....

It has nothing to do with "thick skin" or developing one. I've been on
numerous listservs, and this is downright rude.

I'm not being "scared off" by off topic posts, I'm impressed by the
arrogance that you have for suggesting that a newbie has thin skin
because they dislike a long political discussion that has absolutely
nothing to do with Linux on a Linux listserve.

Dear John,
It's not me. It's you.

Good bye.

<unsub>