PDF is a standard?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun May 25 13:21:36 MST 2008

Am 24. Mai, 2008 schwätzte Kurt Granroth so:

> PDF is an "ad hoc" standard right now.  It is on the path to being an
> official standard (ISO 32000) but it's not there yet.  Honestly, saying it's
> not a standard because it doesn't have an ISO code attached to it is
> nit-picking to an extreme.

I disagree, especially since I was specifically asking if the format is
now controlled by a standards body and its committees rather than being
solely controlled by Adobe.

> Adobe has always released the specifications of PDF and anybody is free to

That makes it an open format. In the end that's actually more important
to Free Software than being a standard.

Well, it's an open format if Adobe has promised not to use patents or
other means to go after anybody in regards to implementing and using the
spec in 3rd party tools. You cover that below.

> implement it.  Yes, Adobe does charge for their Acrobat Professional suite,
> but it's hardly required.  There are scads of PDF-capable apps out there.
> Heck, OS X works with PDF as a native subsystem.  In no cases do you have to
> pay any sort of royalty or sign any agreement with Adobe to implement it.

I also understand it as being a published spec with no barrier from Adobe
in regards to implementing and using the format in 3rd party tools.

> To sum:
> 1. Specification widely available... Check
> 2. Anybody can implement the spec royalty and patent free (now that the LZW
> patent has expired)... Check

Patent free I didn't know.

> 3. Documents in PDF format are pervasively and inescapably common... Check
> 4. A multitude of 3rd party reader and writers for PDF... Check
>
> If that's not a standard, then we have very different ideas on what a
> standard is. :-)

I'd say we have different ideas on what a standard is.

In the end it's more important for Free Software that we have Free and
Open Formats.

1. Specification freely available
2. Anybody can implement the spec royalty and patent free
3. anyone can use software/hardware implementing the spec royalty and
patent free[0]
4. copyright and licensing of the spec do not contradict Free Software
implementation of the spec

I'm sure there are other important features, but it's naptime :).

As to the original question, I would like PDF to be locked in to always
being a Free and Open Format, regardless of how future versions are
created. I am concerned with m$ muscling it's way in on any committees
controlling PDF.

[0] patent and royalty free in regards to the spec, there might be some
hardware patents in play for specific hardware as long as the patents
aren't involved in the spec or use of the spec

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        https://LOPSA.org/
#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose away. - der.hans