Lost text input on command line

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Wed May 21 15:58:08 MST 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Matrix Mole <matrixm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Jon M. Hanson <jon at the-hansons-az.net> wrote:
>
> > Try typing "reset" without the quotes to see if that helps.
>
> Thank you, I'll try that when I get home from work tonight and see if
> that helps.

I realize you've already been given an idea (typing "reset"...).
This is not necessarily "differing from" that.
     Some terminal emulators have a "mode", intended for use
with a terminal that already has a ["local"] echo happening, every
time you type a non blank character.  It can be annoying to have,
(say) 'grep' echoed as 'ggrreepp' due to that.  Hence, the mode.
     As for how you got IN to that mode (presumably accidentally!)
I do not know.  For getting out of that mode, hmm, maybe that
idea of typing "reset" would work.
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ