Partitions for Kubuntu

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat May 17 10:58:11 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Rhune Lord wrote:
> Ok I have a 320GB HDD in the notebook. I have [a] 100G partition mounted
> [as] /. Do I set the rest to " /home " (I have 1028MB partition for SWAP) or
> [are] there any other partitions I should make to help [recover from] a
> crash?

1G is probably more swap than you need.  You generally want at least /
and /home, so that your data is separate from the OS in case you decide to
install a different distro.  Most of the time, you want /usr and /var on
separate partitions; this allows you to mount /usr read-only most of the
time.  Some people put /tmp , /opt, and /usr/local on separate partitions,
but this is probably overkill for a single-user system.

If the machine isn't a dual-boot machine, the most flexible thing to do is to
make one large LVM partition and keep all the filesystems in LVs.  It's a
whole lot easier to resize an LV than it is to resize a partition, and the
15-partition limit doesn't exist with LVs.  The main problems with LVs are
that it's impossible to read them with any non-Linux OS right now, and they
may not be n00b-friendly.  HTH,

--
   I think it's a beautiful day to go to the zoo and feed the ducks.
   To the lions.  --Brian Kantor