OpenSSH Key replacement

koder hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 14:32:27 MST 2008

After upgrading my OpenSSH and ancillary files using the Ubuntu update I
can no longer use sftp to logon between my desktop and laptop both
located inside of my DSL router.

It worked yesterday, in fact I just learned to use it yesterday before
updating. Now I get:

koder at delta-dawn:~$ sftp koder at 198.162.1.101
Connecting to 198.162.1.101...
ssh: connect to host 198.162.1.101 port 22: Connection refused
Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer
koder at delta-dawn:~$ ssh 198.162.1.101
ssh: connect to host 198.162.1.101 port 22: Connection refused

The Ubuntu notice said that the update would automatically update the
keys in installation after asking my permission. It did not ask.

I ran the ssh-vulnkey tool as sudo. It did not return anything except a
new prompt.

The notices says to check my keys by looking in various listed files.
What am I looking for?

Can I just delete the contents of the files, or the files themselves to
start clean?

I looked in the /etc/ssh folder and found the 'moduli' file but am not
sure what to do with it.

Is that any documentation on this?

Harold