Installed Ubuntu 8.04

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon May 12 09:32:05 MST 2008

Continuing the top post format here ...

I'd like to hear if Dan's answer was the right one and the solution
worked.  It sounds like the right answer to me.  If not, another
possibility is the change from the OS owning the USB driver at the
beginning of a restart to the BIOS using it's method of reading the
USB drive and how it finds the stage 1.5 portion.  I do not know the
mechanics nor what is likely to happen, but perhaps this is a factor.

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Dan Lund
<situationalawareness at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had that same problem back in 1999 or 2000 I believe.  I used LILO
>  to get around it...
>  Had something to do with the segment it was located on the disk, and
>  the hardware having problems addressing past a certain part at boot.
>  For some reason, hard reset and soft reset have different
>  characteristics.  & only on some hardware....
>  One way to work around it is to create a real small partition for boot
>  as (h|s)da1... like 25mb or 50mb.  Try pulling everything down to 1 or
>  2gb for the second partition and use the final partition for swap
>  space.  If that works, you know the problem.
>  Or just use LILO when Grub's not your thing :)  (disclaimer: I've
>  never used Ubuntu, so I'm not sure of the "only uses <x> application"
>  setup for them.
>
>  --Dan
>

>  On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Clayton Stapleton <clay4291 at inbox.com> wrote:
>  > Installed Ubuntu 8.04 a week ago Wed. It was installed on a USB 500 G drive. After the install and the system restarted the startup hung with "Grub Loading Stage 1.5
>  >  Grub loading – Please wait
>  >  ERROR 21"
>  >  To get the system working again I had to press the Restart button on the computer. Then it went into a normal startup. I HATE GRUB!!
>  >  Whenever I start the computer from a cold start it goes into a normal startup. When I do a restart it hangs as above and I have to press the restart button,
>  >  Otherwise things function as expected.
>  >  Is there a simple way to get Grub operating properly?
>  >
>  >  Clay Stapleton
>  >
>  >  ____________________________________________________________
>  >  FREE 3D MARINE AQUARIUM SCREENSAVER - Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your desktop!
>  >  Check it out at http://www.inbox.com/marineaquarium
>  >  To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your mail settings:
>

>  --
>  Thanks,
>  Dan Lund

Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and
what they ought to be.
 - William Hazlitt