SQL Question - Complex ordering

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Tue Jun 17 14:37:40 MST 2008

1) I am not good with writing stored procedures.  (This is really the
overwhelming reason. The rest are just excuses)
2) To build a black box I would need to build it to accept between 2 and
20 variables (Could be over a million, but no one has asked for anything
containing more then a dozen, so 20 would be safe).
3) The SQL is easy once I figured out how to pass orders to an outer
query using a temp table.
4) I may use ordering functions from 2 to 5 different tables, pull
primary criteria data from 1 to 4 different tables and have literally
thousands of relational points in those tables (and ID in table A can
relate to up to 1K of points in table B and tables A, B, C, and D are
growing fast.)  This seems complex for a black box.

But mostly, or rather, entirely, the first reason is the trump card.  I
have built very complex Black Boxes and relatively simple SQL engines in
Java.  But I have a fairly good understanding of Java, and almost no
understanding of IBM's PL language.  If you are good at stored
procedures and are willing to work for beer and pizza I would absolutely
love to get some practical training.  Especially when the query's start
taking longer and longer to run.  And, of course, I will need to build
the black box in something in probably less then a year so I can
distribute the work out the original requestor via a dynamic menu driven
builder.  But I do not have the time for that now.