Monitor specific, unrelated processes in top? (and more!)

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:02:26 MST 2008

Is there a way to monitor only a few processes in top? I want to be able to
monitor the processes of the server software of the various games that are
running on my server box. The processes are all run by different system
users. All of their names are in the format $GAMENAME-srv, except for the
user "srcds", which is for two games (same server, two instances running).

I'm also currently mucking around with screen to see if I can use it to
easily access the server consoles of each game. This is important because
otherwise I have to run the game client and use "rcon" to manage the
administrator console for the servers. The init scripts store their PIDs, so
I can easily determine which processes they are for use with the screen
command. If anyone here already knows an easy way to do what I'm describing,
you could save me some time and headaches by giving me an example.